Patient Packing Lists
The list below outlines what one might need for a comfortable stay at Garland Behavioral Hospital. We’ve also listed prohibited items to prevent any confusion for patients, family and visitors. Please note that we will search patients for contraband at admission to ensure security at the facility. Any items deemed unsafe will be removed, placed in our storage or sent back home. We ask that visitors bringing items to their loved ones also adhere to the lists below.
WHAT TO BRING
- Valid picture ID & current insurance card
- Clothing for three days, with no hoods, ties or drawstrings
- Warm pajamas and sweaters without hoods or tie closures
- Washers and dryers are available for your use at no charge.
- Garland Behavioral Hospital will also provide scrubs, socks, toiletries and linens to all patients.
- Medications from home, which will be stored in the hospital pharmacy. All medications must be in the prescription bottle from the pharmacy at which they were filled.
- Contact lenses and solution, or glasses.
- Religious items, like the Bible, rosaries and prayer accessories will be checked in and provided for prayer time.
WHAT NOT TO BRING
- Electronic items such as cell phones, iPods, laptops, earphones, recording devices, radios and clocks
- Toiletries, such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, hairbrush, lotion, etc. (personal hygiene items will be provided)
- If you bring makeup, our staff will keep it for you and provide it when requested. Makeup may not be in glass bottles.
- Disposable razors
- Nail polish remover or chemical hair remover
- Hairdryers, curling irons or flat irons
- Mirrors, nail files or nail clippers
- Shoestrings, drawstrings, ties or belts
- Bras with an underwire
- Hats, hoodies, scarves, shower caps, sunglasses or other head/face coverings
- Any hangers: plastic, cloth or wire
- Shoes or socks that increase the risk of falls, like slippers and flip-flops
- Jewelry, except for wedding bands
- Wallets, purses, and loose cash
- Stuffed animals, pillows or blankets
- Pens, pencils or binders/notebooks with metal spirals
- Outside food or drink
- Cups, water bottles, travel coffee cups of any kind
- Glass, aluminum cans, aerosol cans, lighters or flammable liquids
- Drugs, tobacco or alcohol (including items that contain alcohol, like mouthwash)
- Items with sharp edges or any items with points
- Weapons such as guns, knives, blades, scissors, or anything deemed unsafe by staff
Get Help Today
Licensed Clinicians at Garland Behavioral Hospital are available 24/7 to provide confidential, no-cost assessments for you or your family. Call (972) 487-5309 to schedule a mental health assessment, or use our online contact form to obtain additional details about our programs. In the case of a medical emergency or crisis, please dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.